The 5 Worst Things To Do To Your Air Conditioner
Did you know that some of the worst things to do with your air conditioner could actually be hurting it? Sure, you might think that turning it off when it’s hot outside is a good idea. However, this will actually cause your system to work harder to keep the temps down. That’s not all though – here are 5 other things that you should avoid doing with your air conditioner!
Five Worst Things To Avoid with Your Air Conditioner
One of the most common things people do with their air conditioners is turn them off when it’s hot outside. However, this isn’t the best way to use your air conditioning unit.
Here are five of the worst things you can do with your air conditioner:
- Turning Your AC completely off when it’s hot outside. When it comes time to cool your house, it makes the system work harder, eventually leading to malfunction and making your energy costs rocket.
- Failure to schedule Preventive Maintenance. Your system should be serviced at least once a year, once before cooling season and once before warmer weather.
- Placing objects near or on top of your air conditioner that could block its airflow. This can cause your AC to overheat and malfunction.
- Not changing your filters in your AC unit every month or two. This will help to keep it running smoothly and efficiently.
- Cranking the air WAY down. You may think it will cool your home faster, but it’s quite the opposite. Turning the air down too quickly can do serious damage to your unit and risks compromising the compressor that transfers the heat out of your home. Make small adjustments over an amount of time to avoid costly repairs or even worse, replacements.
The Most Common Problems With Your Air Conditioner
Air conditioning is a necessary part of summertime, but it can also be a source of anxiety for some people. Here are five of the most common problems with air conditioners:
- Not turning on or off correctly: This is the most common problem with air conditioners. If your air conditioner doesn’t turn off when it’s supposed to, it will overheat and can cause damage to the unit or even worse, injury. Make sure your air conditioner is set correctly when you leave the house and turn it back on when you return
- Leaks: Air conditioners use a lot of energy to cool down the room, and if there are leaks in the system, that energy can be wasted. Fix any leaks quickly by using a wet cloth to try to stop the water from flowing and then contacting your homeowner’s insurance company or air conditioning contractor.
- Your unit does not work in all areas: Air conditioners distribute cool air through your ventilation system. If one or more rooms are not cooling properly, it is time to have an Area Wide Services technician come out to inspect your ducts and adjust the vents to better distribute the air. Closing the vents does not work and can cause your system to work hard to cool your home leading to inefficiency.
- Refrigerant Issues. Your AC uses refrigerant to cool your home. If the levels are low, or run out, it could lead to costly repairs.
Good Air Conditioning Habits
Summer is here and that means it’s time to crank up the AC! However, like anything else in life, there are some things you should avoid doing with your air conditioner in order to keep it running smoothly. Here are five of the worst things you can do when it comes to using your air conditioner:
- Clean the condenser coil once a month to keep it running optimally.
- Keep your ductwork clear of debris to avoid blockage and reduced airflow.
- Check for leaking ducts. Duct work can become damaged by pests or rodents and sometimes faulty installation. Area Wide can inspect your ducts for any of these issues.
- Install a programmable thermostat. New thermostats are less likely to fall victim to human error and older dial models may not be calibrated correctly. Programmable thermostats are available to where you can set and adjust the temperature even when you’re away from your home.
- Call Area Wide Services for Routine Maintenance!
One of the best things you can do for your air conditioning unit is to keep it clean. Dirty filters will cause your AC to work harder, which can lead to higher energy bills and possible failure.
Another important thing to keep in mind is to keep your windows closed when it’s hot outside. This will help to conserve energy by reducing the amount of air that needs to be circulated.
Lastly, make sure you turn off your AC when you’re not using it. Running your AC all day long will use up a lot of electricity and could result in higher bills.
By following these simple tips, you can ensure that your air conditioner runs smoothly and safely during the warmer months.
Call Area Wide Services For Your A/C Preventative Maintenance!
If you’re like most people, you probably don’t think much about your air conditioner. But keeping your air conditioner in good condition is important for your safety and the safety of those around you.
One common mistake people make is not calling for preventive maintenance on their air conditioners. This can lead to problems down the line, like a failed compressor or refrigerant leak.
Area Wide Services can help you get your air conditioner in good shape and keep it that way. We’ll inspect and replace any parts that need to be replaced, and we’ll also perform preventative maintenance on your air conditioner. This will help ensure that your air conditioner is running smoothly and safely. We offer other service and repair options, including:
Area Wide Services is one of the top heating and cooling companies in the area. We offer a wide range of services, including installation, repairs, and maintenance. We are experts in this field, and we are here to help you with any questions you might have.
We specialize in installing and repairing HVAC and refrigeration systems such as air conditioners, heaters, heat pumps, furnaces, commercial refrigerators, freezers, ice machines, walk-in freezers, and more. Call Area Wide Services at (903) 467-5620 today!